Listed Buildings

Ashridge Management College

This project won us Commended in the Craftsmanship award and Highly Commended in the Repair and Restoration Award – Stone Federation Great Britain Natural Stone Awards – 2010

The original College was converted into the present building in the gothic style from 1808 to 1825 by architect James Wyatt.  After various uses, the Ashridge Management College was established in 1959.

This phase of work involved the restoration of the facade to the east elevation, returns and bases of the chimneys above the library annex.  Care was taken to preserve as much of the original fabric as possible. 

The stone facade is Clunch with Portland limestone dressings to the hood moulds, weatherings to buttresses and the carved paterae to the quatrefoil panels in the pierced parapet.  The decayed state of the stone face was such that each stone was removed, assessed and, where possible, cleaned or a new face cut prior to it being refixed.  Where the stone was beyond reuse it was replaced.

Hydraulic lime was used as the bedding material with 2mm joints as original.  The cavity behind the ashlar was filled with a 3-to-1 mix of sharp sand and hydraulic lime to consolidate it.  Every course was tied back using a stainless steel flat bar with a dog cramp across every vertical joint.

The external arches and jambs to the central door and four main windows were replaced half sole with a part replacement to the internal jamb to incorporate the new glass panels.  Approximately 90% of the buttresses were replaced.  Once the elevation was dried it was cleaned down to a smooth finish and a lime water thoroughly applied.

 

Judges Comments for Repair and Restoration Award:-

“The Contractor should be congratulated on demonstrating that the ‘craft’ of Masonry is alive and well and high standards of craftsmanship can still be achieved.

The original bosses, mouldings and balusters within the pierced screen have been replaced.  The state of deterioration of these elements can easily be seen on the survey photographs and the mason has painstakingly removed these, measured and replicated with new stone from the original quarry.  The work is sharp, defined and extremely well executed down to the smallest detail.

The carvings are mounted on the refurbished screen with care.  The lime jointing is clean, clear and consistent.”

  VIEW ALL GALLERY IMAGERY
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT US ON T: 01327 349081 OR E: website@bodenandward.co.uk
Church of St Denys - Colmworth - window repairs
Church of St Denys - Colmworth - window repairs
We were asked to carry out urgent repairs to the East window of the Chancel at St Denys Church, Colmworth. Initially, the stonework was supported...
FIND OUT MORE
St Mary's Church Tower - North Marston
St Mary's Church Tower - North Marston
The Oving stone outer face wall of the 15th century Tower of St Mary's Church in North Marston could be pulled off by the handful when we...
FIND OUT MORE
Pytchley Gates
Pytchley Gates
Pytchley Gates – Overstone - Northampton – Restored to their original glory after car impact in 2009 THE PROJECT The Pytchley Gates...
FIND OUT MORE

SEND US AN ENQUIRY